|Director: Prof. Dr. Arch. Sergiu NISTOR – Romanian Presidency Counselor for Culture, former ICOMOS Romania President, former State Secretary at the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage (2012-2013), member of the Department of History & Theory of Architecture and Heritage Conservation, IMUAU
Scientific secretary: Teaching Assist., Dr. Arch. Ioana ZACHARIAS VULTUR – Department of History & Theory of Architecture and Heritage Conservation, IMUAU, OAR member & Zeppelin magazine editor
“Ion Mincu” University of Architecture and Urbanism,
CSAV centre is listed in LMI 2015 as historic monument no. SB-II-A-12378.
Dealu-Frumos village has a total of four monuments enlisted in the LMI list:
ARHITECTURA 1906 magazine, text by Ioana ZACHARIAS VULTUR:
1321: Oldest document witnessing the existence of Schönberg (Dealu Frumos): ” de Pulcro monte“.
THE EVANGELIC C.A. CHURCH
XIIIth Century: Erected initially as a 3 nave Romanesque basilica, with undressed stone piers and arcades, without belfry, having a square chancel and an semicircular altar apse, the present-day church rests on the same foundations. From the Romanesque period the church still retains 2 pairs of arcades and piers under the bell tower and, under the roof, some circular windows – oculus, formerly opened into the main nave.
About 1500: The Romanesque basilica is surrounded by a stronghold, the aisles walls and groin vaults are raised to the height of the nave (the Gothic hall church type) while the altar apse is demolished. The inner arcades are raised in an Gothic pointed arches and the nave vault gets flamboyant decorative clay ribs. On the North side of the chancel a sacristy is erected. The bell tower almost 23.00 m. height is erected at the West end of the nave as a defense tower, with walls approx. 2,00 m. thick and having loop-holes. Another defense tower is built over the chancel having 1 storey less then the bell tower. Both towers end with a defense gallery having a brick paneled wood frame (fachwerk) parapet and a pyramidal 4 sides pitched roof.
About 1500: The church courtyard is surrounded by a bailey of 4-5 m. height, having loop-holes and a observation inner gallery of wood. The initial stronghold was reinforced by 4 corner defense towers projecting outside the walls, provided with loop-holes and machicolis (cantilevered openings used to drop boiling oil on the attackers).
1520-1522: The Southern defense wall is demolished to widen the church courtyard. New defense walls are erected 10,00 m to the South whereas on its SE corner, an pentagonal defense tower is added to the fortress. Close to the NE tower, still in use, an one storey height entrance tower is erected, with an iron clad oak lumber door.
1647: The Northern defense wall is moved approx. 5,00 m to the North, and a new oblong 2 storey height defense building is erected. The building (Neue Gebäude) was provided with a chimney. A new defense tower of the same type as the 4 corner ones was added midway on the North side.
1914: The Southern part of the fortress is partly replaced by a Community Hall which fills the SE pentagonal tower.
2003: The University of Architecture and Urbanism “Ion Mincu” Bucharest, Romania is granted a lease for the fortress to rehabilitate it as a Study Centre in Vernacular Architecture.